Metaphorical Entailment in BTS Song Lyrics: A Semantic Perspective Penarikan Metaforis dalam Lirik Lagu BTS: Perspektif Semantik
- Metaphorical entailment,
- BTS’s Song Lyric
Copyright (c) 2020 Izzet Fikrotul Fauqi, Eva Eva
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Language is a means or tool of communication. People have used language as the most common way to communicate with each other. Language is a system of arbitrary vocal symbols by means of which a social group cooperates. When people used language, they bound between one and another, called meaning. The meaning itself sometimes can be interpreted by other people easily, while some of them are not. Metaphorical meaning is the hidden meaning in some literary works, such as song, poem, poetry, and drama, that be able to give a new perspective to the readers or listeners. This research analyse the metaphorical meaning in some of BTS’s song, and its relation to the people who listen to their songs. The objective of this research is to analyze metaphorical entailment in BTS‘s song lyrics through a semantic perspective, and how the metaphorical meaning in BTS’s song in giving new hope to the listener. This research is a Qualitative, specifically descriptive qualitative method. There were two kinds of data in this research to support in analyzing process; the BTS’s song lyrics and interview session. The BTS’s song lyric was from the website, and an interview session was done by two correspondents that passed the criteria.
- Katz, J. J. (1972). Semantic Theory (Harper & Row, Eds.). New York.
- LinguaLinks Library. (2003). Sil Glossary of Lingusitic Terms. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from SIL International website: https://glossary.sil.org/term/metaphorical-entailment
- Study.com. (2020). What is a Song. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from https://study.com/acedemy/lesson/what-is-a-song-definition-examples.html
- Genius. (2020a). BTS - Not Today Lyric (Translation). Retrieved December 12, 2019, from Genius Media Group Inc. website: https://genius.com/Genius-english-translation-bts-not-today-english-translation-lyrics
- Genius. (2020b). BTS - Sea Lyric (Translation). Retrieved December 12, 2019, from Genius Media Group Inc. website: https://genius.com/Genius-english-translation-bts-sea-english-translation-lyric
- Griffiths, P. (2006). An Introduction to English Semantics and Pragmatics (H. Giegerich, Ed.). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Borg, E. (2006). Minimal Semantics. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kreidler, C. W. (1998). Introducing English Semantics. London and New York: Routledge.
- Yule, G. (1998). The Study of Language (Third Edit). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Ingemann, F., & Crystal, D. (1998). Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics. In Language (Sixth Edit, Vol. 74). https://doi.org/10.2307/417640
- Nouwen, R., & Elenbaas, M. (2011). Linguistics in the Netherlands 2011. John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Lakoff, G., & Johnson, M. (1980). Methapors We Live By. In University of Chicago (Vol. 8). https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Kovecses, Z. (2003). Metaphor and Emotion; Language, Culture, and Body in HUman Feeling. United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
- Daymon, C., & Holloway, I. (2002). Qualitative Research Methods in Public Relations and Marketing Communications (Second Edi). New York: Routledge.
- Leedy, P. D., & Ormrod, J. E. (2016). Practical Research Planing and Design (Eleventh; C. Griscom & G. Gottfried, Eds.). United Kingdom: Pearson ESL.