The Types of Presupposition in the Jakarta Post's Education Articles Jenis-jenis Presuposisi dalam Artikel Pendidikan Jakarta Post
- Jakarta Post,
Copyright (c) 2020 Zuka Cristyananda Mei Dewanta, Dina Sri Utami
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
A speaker’s or writer’s presupposition shows a prejudice about a conversation opponent or someone being discussed. In this research, a presupposition analysis was conducted to provide information about the assumptions made by the Minister of Education and Culture Nadiem Makarim on various occasions in his speech to state his programs. It also aims to provide information to the reader that the intention conveyed by the speaker is precise and clear. Therefore, the authors declare in the various utterances that are delivered and explain the purposes. The data was taken randomly from the Jakarta Post online article about Education for a vulnerable period of one month from November 2, 2019, to December 2, 2019. This study used descriptive qualitative methods in answering questions in the problem statement; they are the explanation about what assumptions are often used by the Minister of Education and Culture and also explain the reasons for the use of these assumptions repeatedly. The assumptions found are lexical, non-factive, and counterfactual presupposition. Assumptions that are often used that aim that the use of certain expressions by the speaker is taken to presuppose other concepts (not stated), the use of certain expressions is made to presuppose the truth of the information said afterward.
- Yingfang, W. (2007). Analysis of presupposition and its function in advertisement. Canadian Social Science 3(4).
- Yule, G (1996) Pragmatics. Oxford: Oxford University
- Eriyanto (2001) Analisis Framing. Yogyakarta: LKiS Yogyakarta
- Oshima, A. & Hogue, A. 1997. Introduction to Academic Writing (2 nd Edition). New York: Addison Wesley Longman, Inc.
- Creswell, J. (2002), Educational Research: Planning,Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research, Merrill Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Marshall, C. & Rossman, G. B. 2006. Designing Qualitative Research (4th Edition). London: SAGE publication.
- Arora R. & Stoner Ch. (2009). A mixed method approach to understanding brand personality. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 18(4), 272-283.
- Woodside, A.G. 2010. Case Study Research: Theory, Methods, Practice. London: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Sugiyono (2011). Metode penelitian kuantitatif, kualitatif dan R & D. Bandung: Alfabeta.
- Alwasilah, A. C. (2002). Pokoknya kualitatif: Dasar-dasar merancang dan melakukan penelitian kualitatif. Jakarta: PT Dunia Pustaka Jaya
- The Jakarta Post. 14 November 2019. ‘Indonesia is not just Java’: Teacher in rural Papua pleads with Nadiem to listen. 8 December 2019. https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/11/13/indonesia-is-not-just-java-teacher-in-rural-papua-pleads-with-nadiem-to-listen.html
- The Jakarta Post. 7 November 2019. Indonesian education needs speedy transformartion: Nadiem. 8 December 2019. https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/11/07/indonesian-education-needs-speedy-transformation-nadiem.html
- Warwick. 22 November 2019. Nadiem, modernization and Islamization of education. 8 December 2019. https://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2019/11/22/nadiem-modernization-and-islamization-of-education.html
- Yulida Pangastuti. 2 November 2019. Equality needs good teachers, not just apps. 8 December 2019. https://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2019/11/02/equality-needs-good-teachers-not-just-apps.html
- [ Ardila Sykriah. 2 December 2019. Nadiem’s bold vision for education reform lacks detail. 8 December 2019. https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/12/02/nadiems-bold-vision-for-education-reform-lacks-detail.html,