Relation of Personality and Religiosity with Academic Motivation Hubungan Kepribadian dan Relijiusitas Dengan Motivasi Akademik
- Academic Motivation
This research is in order to find and improve the factors that play a role in improving individual academic motivation. Several factors such as personality and religiosity are associated with academic motivation. This study refers to several literatures, namely, Asghar Hazrati-Viar, et.al (2012), the relationship between personality and academic performance, Abbott (2012) which shows a relationship and parenting style with good student academic achievement. There is a relationship between personality, religiosity, and student academic motivation. This research uses quantitative survey techniques with several measurement scales according to the variables to be measured, personality uses the Myers-Briggs test from Quenk (2009), religiosity with the RRHM scale from Herlina et.al (2016), measurement of academic motivation from Vallerand (1992) . Distribution of questionnaires with online purposive sampling to 47 respondents who are international students (Asia, Middle East, Europe-America). Data analysis with correlation, independent t test. The result of this research is that there is a significant positive relationship between religiosity and student academic motivation with a correlation of 0.687 and there is a significant difference between personality types and student academic motivation. This research is expected to provide results for factors that support student motivation and academic achievement and can be a reference for efforts to improve student achievement in Indonesia and internationally.
- Abbott, K.P. (2012). The influence of the family on adolescent academic achievement. Thesis. Iowa state university. Proquest.
- Alivernini, F., & Lucidi, F. (2008). The Academic Motivation Scale (AMS): Factorial structure, invariance, and validity in the Italian context. TPM - Testing, Psychometrics, Methodology in Applied Psychology, 15(4), 211–220.
- Asghar Hazrati-Viar, et.al (2012). The effect of personality traits on academic performance: The mediating role of academic motivation. 4th International Conference of Cognitive Science (ICCS 2011). Social behavioral science 2012. Elsevier.
- B. Bungin, Penelitian Kualitatif, Komunikasi, Ekonomi, Kebijakan Publik, dan Ilmu Sosial Lainnya. Edisi Kedua, Jakarta: Kencana Prenada Media Grup, 2011.
- Dehyadegary, et.al (2012). Relationship between Parenting Style and Academic Achievement among Iranian Adolescents in Sirjan. Asian Social Science. Vol. 8, No. 1; January 2012. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ass.v8n1p156.
- E.M. O’Mara et al. (2012). A longitudinal-experimental test of the panculturality of self-enhancement:Self-enhancement promotes psychological well-being both in the west and the east. Journal research in personality- Elsevier.
- Herlina., Ihsan, H., & Chotidjah, S. The Validation of Skala Ritual Religious Harian Muslim (RRHM-Daily Moslem Religious Rituals Scale). Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research (ASSEHR), volume 81 1st International Conference on Social and Political Development (ICOSOP 2016). 2017, the Authors. Published by Atlantis Press. This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
- Heydari N, Janghorban R, Akbarzadeh M. The Relationship Between Religious Attitudes and Academic Motivation of Nursing and Midwifery Students: A Descriptive-Analytical Study, Shiraz E-Med J. Online ahead of Print ; 21(10):e95005. doi: 10.5812/semj.95005.
- Meral, et.al (2012).The relationship between self-efficacy and academic performance. Social and behavioral science. Elsevier.
- Niemiec, C.P., Ryan, R.M., & Deci, E.L. (2009). The path taken: The consequences of attaining intrinsic and extrinsic aspirations in post-college life. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 291-306.
- Ozpolat,et.al (2012). Investigating psychological well being of university students according to lifestyles. Journal El sevier.
- Quenk, Naomi L. (2009). Essentials of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Assessment 2nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). Selfdetermination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being. American Psychologist Association, 55(1), 68–78. doi: 10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68.
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2017). Selfdetermination theory. New York: The Guilford Press
- Sri Rahmania. 2008. Hubungan Motivasi dengan prestasi kerja. UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta.
- The academic motivation of Papua students in Sebelas Maret University. SAGE Open January-March 2019: 1–7 © The Author(s) 2019 DOI: 10.1177/2158244018823449 journals.sagepub.com/home/sgo
- Vallerand, R.J., Pelletier, L.G., Blais, M.R., Briere, N.M., Senecal, C., & Vallieres, E.F. (1992). The Academic Motivation Scale: A measure of intrinsic, extrinsic, and amotivation in education. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 52, 1003-1017.